Euphony nourishes a worm!

Getting out of the bed is one heck of a task esp. with the onset of winters, one just cannot think of ditching the cozy bed and the soft blanket. But, the excitement of what's going to happen precisely after few hours, out powers my laziness, for it is to be my first home coming after securing a campus placement.


Somehow I get out of the bed, look at the hills, orange orchard, the morning sun rays, birds sitting at the window sill and humming their own rapturous melody(a view through the window in my room - bliss..ehh?)


All of a sudden I hear a song playing in some room and the very next moment I'm hooked to it.  The song stopped but I keep on humming the song all day long.  Cogitating that I'm crazy,  I tend to distract myself but the fact is that it's a phenomenon which people possessing long hair, thick specs and clad in white coats call as - An ‘earworm’.  Though there exists multiple theories which tries to explain what causes a song/tune to get stuck in your head just like pot holes on Indian roads but none of these are completely positive about the cause of its occurrence.


The most sense bearing theory incriminates the euphony itself. High upbeat sound with insistent rhythm/lyrics gets stuck in the head. These days its very common to find such rhythm in pop songs,jingles etc.


Burning the left over savanna grass inside my oval shaped skull, I found some facts regarding the Earworm Phenomenon:




  • The response to earworm depends on the nature of the tune - positive or negative

  • Even it's not gender biased - happens to both men and women, but it tends to last longer in women..no wonder they are crazy ;)

  • Although it lasts only for a couple of hours but nothing can stop it in lasting longer.

  • It ain't compulsory that you need to hear the song, Talking/reading can cause the earworm to begin.


Sick of earworm? Though there is no foolproof plan to get rid of the earworm, the best bet at anytime is to distract yourself and allow that not so beautiful brain of your's  to think about something else.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between odds and the ones!

Ramblings Again!

And here it is..Century!