Life of Cut, Copy and Paste!

It seems like it was just yesterday that I came running to my mom and said "Maa, that was my work, she copied mine!" ..Mom in her own unique way - "Copying is not good X" and that's how I was introduced to copyrights for the first time.
Through the kindergarten, school-life, the act of protecting my own creations kept on amplifying and I remember there used to be many fights, whenever somebody was caught copying. Then during the 'enchanting' exams, we actually defend our secrets - be it some formula, theorem or even the complete answer from others. We succeed to a great extent,  but considering that man is a social animal and we should do good for the society by helping others in exams, is somehow unsocial. Well, Rome wasn't built in one day, how can we expect maturity to!

Then, we reach the stage of transformation! College life, Oh yeah! A complete transformation of our characteristics - the good, the bad and the ugly. Like a cactus standing tall in a desert, alone we are! We ask for guidance by some seniors. One thing which they really mutated was the feeling of protecting one's ideas. Be it project reports /assignments/ presentations, finding them over the web and copying became the need of the hour.
It once happened, I was sitting in a class and a group was delivering a presentation on some topic, to my amazement, I was viewing the same slides which I had seen on some senior's laptop couple of days back. The worst thing was the group didn't even bother to change the template leave apart the typographical mistakes! 

Donning my thinking cap, It struck to me that when ever we are doing any project/assignment or even inventing something new, we are in a way adding and deleting ideas like a larcenist, simultaneously. 
But anyways, I will continue the legacy of my generation as I have other important stuff to complete. I promise I will be extra careful and clever to change the templates and run spell checker at least once. As one of the stakeholders of the student community, I will give back to my society - my presentations, projects and assignments on slideshare/scribd etc :D

Copying from one is plagiarism copying from many is research

Comments

  1. Coping with copying is what those you subject it to have to do..ha, ha. Another contribution to society is entrepreneurs who offer anti-piracy software.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Anti-piracy software have really helped in coping up with plagiarism. Once upon a time, I was one of its victim. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between odds and the ones!

Ramblings Again!

And here it is..Century!